5 Facts About Keyon Harrold 23 May 2018
American trumpeter, Keyon Harrold is our 2018 cover star. From working with the likes of Beyonce to being hailed as “the future of the trumpet” by Wynton Marsalis, he is a star in the making, playing his Scottish debut on Saturday 14th July.
1. His music draws on elements of jazz, classical, rock, blues, and hip hop to create something uniquely modern and unmistakably American. Trending described it as “catchy jazz fusion for the Trump era”.
2. He grew up in Ferguson, Missouri, with his nine siblings and learned to play trumpet in Memorial Lancers Drum & Bugle Corps (the band was founded by his cop grandfather)
3. As well as jazz giants he has worked with Jay-Z, Erykah Badu, Beyonce, Lauryn Hill and supported Common
4. He’s played with Gregory Porter and toured as a member of Cirque du Soleil's Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour
5. He won a Grammy for the trumpet playing in Don Cheadle’s Miles Davis biopic ‘Miles Ahead.’
Keyon play on July 14 in the George Square Spiegeltent. Tickets available here >