How to use Zoom!
Using the Zoom App
For our online classes, we'll be trailing using the Zoom App, both for classes and group performance sessions.
For performances, the process involves everyone playing along but only being able to hear the lead musician, we record each other playing, and then the lead tutors put everything together afterwards and create a really fun video.
Here's some handy instructions for installing Zoom onto your device.
SET UP PROCESS
Each participant who would like to get involved will need to:
STEP 1 - EQUIPTMENT
- Have EARPHONES/HEADPHONES.
- Have a COMPUTER/LAPTOP. It'll be possible to attend the meeting on your smartphone(by downloading the ZOOM app but you'll need some other device for recording audio in this case, see STEP 2 below.)
- Bring your INSTRUMENT, get that thing tuned up and ready to go! (Make sure you're acoustic i.e making sound into the room. If you are going through an audio interface, make sure you're recording device is set up properly to record your playing)
STEP 2 - ZOOM
- DOWNLOAD ZOOM. Everyone needs to download the free application, ZOOM: https://zoom.us/download
STEP 3 - RECORDING
If your session is doing a recording of a performance (GD Jam every Monday) - follow the below steps!
- Test a RECORDING DEVICE/APP - this could be:
- QUICKTIME. All Mac users will have the application QUICKTIME already on their mac and will need to check/test that they can record their local audio(sound in their room) - Quicktime > File > New Audio Record
- AUDACITY. All Windows users will be able to download the free application AUDACITY and test that they can make a new audio recording.
- VOICE RECORDER APP - on iPhone or equivalent on android.
- Zoom H2/H4/H6 or equivalent digital recorder.
STEP 4 - PARTS
- Find/Download your parts for your session.
GD Jam are all available via the GD Jam Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1Ex0Wof0bOXVzkTZ3fVMMJfef-0abwIuB
and have them ready to view. If this is not possible, don't worry we'll practice them and jam it though!
STEP 5 - RELAX!
THAT'S IT - YOU'RE READY TO GO!
Please check your email for a link to the Zoom meeting > click this link
> click 'join with video' > click 'join with computer audio'.